How to pack a carry on bag like Mary Poppins or Hermione Granger

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport| |

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Let's face it, TSA is ruled by a man because they do not understand all of the luggage women want to take on vacations. Sometimes it is almost seems worth driving a long distance just so you don't have to comply with their long list of rules and try and pack your life into two bags, one of which is most likely going to cost you an extra $25. And don't get me started on the liquids rule. It takes more than a quart-sized bag of liquids, gels and aerosols to keep me looking presentable in public.

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of flying Southwest and now I know why everyone raves about America's budget airline. I was sold at "two free checked bags." Which allowed me the luxury of only traveling with my purse, which easily fits under the seat in front of me and does not have to be manhandled into the overhead bin.

So what did I bring to make the four hour flight + layover enjoyable?
+gum
+EOS lip balm
+two lip sticks
+contact case
+glasses
+snacks 
+Melvita floral spritz to wake your face up
+advil
+Kindle
+sunglasses
+Vogue
+Folder for boarding passes and reservation confirmations
+not pictured: sweater and water bottle 

All of that in one purse with room to spare. My number one rule is to always have an empty water bottle with me to refill after going through airport security because I think it is ridiculous to pay $5 for a bottle of water. It's highway robbery. Snacks are also a must-carry item for me. There have been too many occasions when my layover is .2 seconds long and I don't have time to buy an overpriced sandwich. (Note: Las Vegas has a Pei Wei in concourse C and is always worth the splurge.)

I also brought some of my Birchbox samples. The Fresh Feet wipes make your feet feel perfect after wearing sandals on the plane and the Coola sunscreen was just enough for my impromptu day at the pool.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Great post! I actually had TSA agents at several airports last year tell me I should start taking my jewelry bag out with my liquids. What?? Craziness. They're just statement necklaces! Haha.

P.S. - Just in case you didn't know, your catchpa is on. :)

Sarah Pete said...

Your title is such a win!