DIY World Map

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Several people asked how I made my world map after I posted a photo on Instagram. Well...I can't take all of the credit, because I got the idea on Pinterest. I think this may be the most successful craft project I've attempted after finding it on Pinterest. And just know...if I can do it, then so can you.
What you'll need:
3 canvases (I used the ones that come in the two-pack at hobby lobby
World map (I bought mine ab Books a Million, but I'd imagine you could find them on Amazon as well)
Modge Podge
Brush

The hardest part is measuring your map and knowing where to cut it. For a reference, I cut mine along the 75 and 155 degree longitude lines. Leave room to wrap the map around the edges as well. You will also need to trim the top and bottom considerably. I lost Antarctica on mine...oops.

Once you measure and cut the map into thirds, the rest is easy. Spread a very thin layer of Modge Podge on your canvas using a sponge brush. Make sure it is thin and even so you don't end up with wrinkles like mine. Unless you want to go for the old, distressed look.

Finally, carefully lay one section of your map over the first canvas. Starting in the center, smooth the bubbles out of the map, working your way to the edges. I like to think of this process like putting a screen protector on your phone. Let your canvasses dry laying flat overnight.

If you love to travel, begin placing pins on each of the cities you've visited and watch as you see the world, on step at a time.

5 comments:

Zoe said...

What a brilliant idea! I'll definitely be making some when I head home from my travels :)


www.thewhatsinbetween.blogspot.com

Kayli Schattner said...

I am loving this! My boyfriend wants a map in our new house + this would be a great way to incorporate one :)

Jess Boyd said...

That sounds like a perfect idea! Can't wait to see pictures if you decide to make one :)

Jess Boyd said...

I just scrolled through all of your pairs posts and they make me miss my time there so much! those little French children...how precious are they?!

Jenna Secrist said...

Oh my gosh I have all of these supplies in my house now! Guess what I'll be doing this weekend! ;) Thanks for sharing, friend!