Tourist in Your Hometown: Toronto

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 | Stamp in My Passport| |

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I am so excited to kick off the Tourist in Your Hometown series again! And I'm even more excited that Mar is getting the ball rolling for us. If you haven't checked out her blog, it's a must read. Expect beautiful photos, especially of the Alaskan frontier if you read far enough back in her archives. Also, it's not too late if you would like to participate in this series as well. Just shoot me an email at stampinmypassport(at)gmail(dot)com. 

Hi friends! My name is Mar and I can be found over at T.O. & fro. I am a small town-raised, big city-living girl meant for a simple life surrounded by Mother Nature. I blog all about life as an environmental educator, outdoor enthusiast, animal lover, photography junkie and travel addict. 

My husband and I currently call the concrete jungle of Toronto home. For those unfamiliar with T.O., it is the capital of the province of Ontario and the biggest city in Canada, home to almost 6 million people in the Greater Toronto Area and growing! Having been raised in a small town/city of 75,000 and spending three years living in the Land of the Last Frontier, Alaska, moving to Toronto has posed its challenges for me. 

One way that I have survived the hustle and bustle of big city life is by embracing the idea of being a tourist in my town. People often take for granted everything their own city has to offer - you go from work to home and back and neglect the fact that you live in a thriving city, with an abundance of activities just outside your door. Why not appreciate the place you live, and even see it in a whole new light? No matter how long you've lived there, it's always an adventure to see the city you live in through the eyes of the tourist. Not only is a staycation going to save you time, money and stress, what you find just might surprise you. 

Here are some of my favourite things to see and do in the city of Toronto, in no particular order...

Toronto downtown skyline


Get a bird's eye view of the city from atop the CN Tower.

Blue Jays baseball game

Cheer on the Blue Jays at the Roger's Centre.

ferry to Toronto Islands

Take the ferry to the Toronto Islands.

chickadee in High Park Toronto
Look for urban wildlife in High Park.

Toronto Christmas Market lights
Visit the Distillery District's Christmas Market.

CNE food building


Overindulge in treats at the Canadian National Exhibition.

There are so many things to do in this city, and these are just the tip of the iceberg. Have you ever been to Toronto?

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I've never been to Canada at all, but I keep seeing things that make me want to go!
It looks very cold, but very pretty. Considering I'm from the Southern United States, I'm not convinced I would do very well in Canada, but I'd still love to visit sometime!


Kristin // The Peculiar Treasure
athisfeetdaily.blogspot.com

Amanda Greer said...

I'm from New Brunswick (currently living in Beijing though) and I've only been to Toronto once, a few years ago around Christmas. I'm getting married in Canada this summer (my fiancé's Chinese) and we're starting to plan a short honeymoon we can take while in Canada. So far we're thinking PEI, Montréal, or Toronto!