Sponsor Spotlight: The Mosby's in China

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| |

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I can't wait to introduce you to Heather and Zachary. 
While they are teaching English in China, 
they are taking advantage of all the country has to offer. 

From travels to the sometimes awkward moments 
of living in a completely different culture, 
you will feel like you are right next to these two
every step of the way.


1. Tell me a little about you and your blog. 
Sure! I'm Heather and the husbands name is Zachary, and we have a ridiculously cute golden retriever named Chara! Collectively we make The Mosby's of The Mosby's in China. Like Ted Mosby in How I Met Your Mother, yes.  We live in Qingdao, China where we teach English to 250+ munchkins and really just live a totally normal life in China. A totally normal life here looks like dodging old ladies hawking loogies, surviving with our conversational Chinese, wearing face masks sometimes and climbing the mountain in our back yard, to list a few. It may not seem normal to some but it has become the norm for us and we love it! Our blog is a place to document our life, my thoughts, and some other good stuff along the way. 

2. You've been able to see a lot of China and Korea through working. Do you see yourself staying there for the near future?
Ya! We've lived in China the past 3 years, in two different cities, and lived in Korea, outside of Seoul for a year before that. We've been blessed to see and live in some pretty cool places! In all of our moves and the "renewing of the contracts" time that happens every year at school's in Asia, we have prayed for God's vision and direction for us and our future. For now, we are in Asia. Next year, we will possibly be somewhere else in Asia. And the year after that, who knows! We are taking each year at a time! 

3. Why did you decide to start blogging? What is something you have learned from this experience? 
Originally, when we first arrived in Korea 4 years ago, we started the blog to keep connected with our parents. The first year it was Zachary's thing. I had little patience for the uploading of pictures or sitting down for so long! Zachary would post once a month or so. We didn't know anything about blogging! All our pictures are awkwardly spaced and size small! We didn't even know how to make the pictures bigger! While I am no blogging professional, I do like to think that we've come a long way with our blog. At some point in Dongying I just fell in love with blogging! I found a friends blog from high school, The Chronicles of Ruthie Hart, I read some and just thought, "Wow! These blogs, they're more than blogs! They're creative outlets!" And I love a good creative outlet, so, The Mosbys in China blog as it is today was born and I fell in love with the whole process. 

4. How do you handle living so far from family and friends?
I'm terrible at this really, at the keeping in touch through Skype and emails. Crazy though, since I love blogging! But mostly, how I handle living far away, is that I just really invest myself in where we are. We have tons of amazing friends here. We have a great church. We have Chinese families that have become like our families. We host parties. We have people stay with us. We explore and travel. We've also made a home here and I think that makes all the difference.

5. Do you have a favorite moment or experience while living abroad?
You know, sometimes my favorite moments are the simplest of moments like laughing with my Chinese students at our house after school while playing UNO or walking our dog in the midst of the beautiful cherry blossom trees with Zachary. It's just those small moments that really make the days, you know? I will say that our hike to the top of Tai Shan and watching the sunrise the next morning was pretty up there. Also, during our first real vacation this past winter to Thailand we took a road trip and that was pretty awesome, too! 

6. Anything else you would like to add? 
Get out there. Experience things. Enjoy life. It's a gift. You don't have to take a plane to experience something extraordinary or different than the day to day norms. Explore your city. Find those places that set your heart wild and go there with people you love. Also, if jumping on a plane is your thing, you could totally come visit us in China!! :) 

post signature

No comments: