Joining the Masses Without a Summer Vacation

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| |

Tuesday, August 5, 2014


I vaguely remember this one episode of The Bill Cosby Show (just go with me, this has a point I promise) and one of the children decided that college wasn't for them, came home in May, and in August when she finally told her parents that she wasn't returning to school they asked why she didn't tell them months before. And her reply? "Well, I didn't want to give up my summer break."

Thankfully I didn't try to pull a stunt like that. I don't think the outcome would have ended too well. I say all of that to say that this is the first time that I have not had a semblance of a "summer vacation." Obviously I know that everyone except teachers (who still try and say they don't have a summer break...) has to come to the point in their life that they sit in an office every day instead of poolside. 

But it wasn't all bad. There was the whole #jessdoestexas bit as well as trips home, to visit family, country drives to the local peach orchard for homemade ice cream and making a good dent in the list of restaurants I want to try in town.

Since I now live in one of the summer vacation destinations of the country, I've also learned the beauty of traveling in the off-season. On the horizon, the magical trip to Orlando, a weekend dedicated to shopping in Jacksonville. And no summer/fall would be complete without a visit to St. Simon's Island for my island time schedule of walks on the beach, time by the pool, naps, visiting all of the shops, dinner and a final beach stroll to walk off all of the shrimp I previously ate.

What is on your bucket list for the end of summer? If you don't have the time for a long vacation, my lovely sponsors have some wonderful travel posts that can help.

Christina of Route Bliss


Christina is no stranger to this blog. Her mix of photography tutorials, travel adventures and advice should make your daily read list asap. If you have ever thought about traveling alone as a single female, this post is a must read if you want to avoid a Taken situation (unless you have Liam Neeson on speed dial.) On top of all of that, she is a runner. And while I am by no means a runner, I can definitely hold my own in a speed walking race. But in all seriousness, if you want to get off the couch and get moving, then Christina has the perfect motivation and tips to make you race-ready in no time. And to go along with your new fitness lifestyle, why not fix grilled summer veggies

Follow along: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Sarah of Daydreams of Summertime


Sarah's Daydreams of Summertime is one of my new favorite reads. Originally from the Scottish highlands, she has traveled all over Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia and now is settled back in Yorkshire. Jealous yet? I know I am. When she isn't living my dream of a life in the UK, she continues traveling to her heart's content. Her holiday photos from Dubrovnik and Croatia have me wanting to book the next flight out. Oh and did I mention that she is a lover of tea and a collector of cups? We're basically soul sisters.

Follow along: Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram

1 comment:

Sarah I said...

Thank you for the lovely write up Jess!
We only had a week's vacation this summer which just didn't seem long enough! I think I am going to have to fit some camping trips in before the summer ends!x