{Recipe} Fruit Tart

Monday, June 17, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Monday, June 17, 2013




Mom has been perfecting this recipe since I went back to school in January, and now it is one of my all time favorite summer desserts (behind jell-o poke cake...yum!)

Now, Ina Garten, aka Barefoot Contessa, has a famous fruit tart recipe and you can't really argue with Ina. Yes, we're on first name terms. However, Ina probably does not know that frozen pie shells exist and she requires you to make your own crust. While I love Ina and her show, I like shortcuts in baking/cooking. Sidenote: I will not fly to Africa to pick my own vanilla beans to make vanilla extract. If I lived in the Hamptons, you better believe that I would not spend all of my time in the kitchen prepping. No ma'am, I would be celebrity watching and schmoozing with the rich and famous. 


Back to the tart... 


Since it is piled high with a plethora of fresh fruit, I think it can hardly be considered dessert. Am I right? Or am I right? 








Recipe:


2 Prepared frozen pie crusts (with ridges, but not deep dish)
Filling
2 packages cream cheese (8 oz), softened
1 cup shifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Orange Sauce:
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp. finely shredded orange peel
¼ tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1 cup orange juice
2 tablespoon lemon juice
4 tsp. cornstarch

Directions:
Fresh fruit: sliced peaches, nectarines, strawberries, kiwi, bananas, grapes, apples, mandarin oranges, and/or raspberries.
1. Bake pie shells (empty) as instructed on package
2. Prepare filling: in medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy.
3. After pie shells have completely cooled, spread cream cheese mixture over both crusts. Decorate with fruit.
4. To prepare orange sauce: Combine sugar, orange and lemon peel, orange and lemon juice and cornstarch in small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Cover and cool the sauce without stirring.
5. When glaze has cooled gently spoon over fruit topping. Chill until ready to serve (at least an hour).


Enjoy!

No comments: