That one time I made dinner

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Wednesday, June 5, 2013


               

If you know me, you know that my idea of cooking involves nuking something in the microwave or heating precooked foods in the oven. Originally I blamed this lack of desire to cook on not having a kitchen in my freshman and sophomore dorm room. And maybe that was the case. But last year, I got to have a full kitchen {oh, joy!}. 

But that didn't put an end to my lack of desire to cook. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching other people cook on tv. "Brunch with Bobby Flay" {or any show with Bobby Flay if we are being honest} is becoming an obsession. I still made a beeline for the frozen foods section in the grocery store.

That being said, you should know that when I share a recipe with you it truly means that it is full-proof. Anyone can make it and impress friends and families. 

Wednesday is my day off from my internship and so I graciously offered to cook dinner for my parents on Wednesdays. I had been seeing all of these recipes on Pinterest for stuffed bell peppers and I thought "I could make those." Well one thing led to another and some didn't have recipes attached to them or had ingredients I didn't really cared for. So I took a leap of faith and just made up my own recipe. No measuring cups, no real directions and a lot of impulse ingredients went into this. This is a true Jess Boyd original recipe. You're welcome world. It's pretty genius. 

Sausage and brown rice stuffed bell peppers
yields filling for three peppers

Ingredients: 
1 bag of brown rice {I used Uncle Ben's Boil in a Bag. Judge me all you want.}
2 links of Italian sausage
1/2 yellow onion
2 cloves minced garlic
Handful of sliced mushrooms
3 basil leaves
1/2 cup - 1 cup liquid {I used tomato sauce, but Worcestershire would be good too}
3 peppers {I used green, but I think the flavor of red peppers is better}
Optional: cheese to melt on top

Directions:
1.Prepare rice according to directions on the box. 
2.Preheat oven to 375. 
3.Cook Italian sausage. Add onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until ?{tender? browned? You know what mushrooms and onions look like when they are cooked}
4. In a bowl, stir the rice, sausage mixture and liquid together. 
5.Fill the mixture into the hollowed-out peppers. 
6.Bake for 45 minutes. Enjoy. 

2 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

this is what I love about stuffed peppers. You can just stuff 'em with anything and they turn out amazing!

These look amazing!

Nicole Marie said...

and its healthy! way to go!!