10 Reasons I Think All Offices Should Have Designated Nap Areas

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport||

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Image Source

I would like to start this post by saying that I am not one of those people who suddenly discovered naps in college and realized what they had been missing their entire life. No, I have always been a firm believer in the power of taking a break, catching a few z's and powering through the rest of the afternoon. 

College was great because classes ended at 2 and there was the perfect amount of time before homework and evening activities began. Sadly an 8-5 office environment doesn't provide much in the way of nap time and/or place. A time or two I've thought about putting a blanket and pillow under my desk...only downside is they never vacuum under there and a lot of people walk by my cubicle every day so that could get a little awkward. 

Now onto my 10 reasons why offices should allow siestas:

1. Studies show that 20 minutes of sleep (aka the ultimate power nap) improves memory, alertness and energy. It's science, people. 

2. Italy and Spain shut down for a few hours in the afternoon. But let's not talk about how their economies are in the toilet and perhaps there is a correlation between siestas and a lack of productivity. 

3. All of the big tech companies have rooms of nap pods. Clearly this point cancels out my previous comment because tech companies are getting stuff done. If a new version of the iPhone can come out every year, then nap pods are doing something right in this world in the way of productivity. 

4. You won't have to feel guilty about eating a carb-loaded lunch. Have you ever made the mistake of bringing last night's spaghetti leftovers only to regret the decision a few hours later when the sleepy feeling that only comes from a full stomach sets in? Don't even get me started on bringing leftover Thanksgiving turkey for lunch. A nap is required afterwards; there's something in the turkey.

5. Everyone is then in a good mood. I would argue to HR that naps are a step in the right direction to improving employee morale.

6. They are stress relievers. Less stress = a more positive work environment

7. People are already taking 15 minutes for an afternoon coffee run, just let them take a nap and save the $5 on the venti americano.

8. Actually, naps are better than a cup of coffee. Caffeine can impair motor sequence and declarative verbal memory. 

9. Nap rooms and nap-friendly offices are great selling features if you are wanting to recruit people to work for your company. Most people are pro-nap.

10. You can save the time googling how to sleep with your eyes open. No more trying to fake it.

13 comments:

Cindy D said...

I've taken an afternoon nap during my afternoon break just sitting in my car rather than at my desk. Of course it's too hot in the summer to do that, but sometimes you just need to close your eyes. A walk around the block can also help get blood moving to get thru the times you can't squeeze in a few zzzzs. They don't vacuum much around my desk either.

Sarah I said...

I would love to be able to take a nap at work I think it would make me way more productive in the afternoons when I tend to struggle.

Ashley said...

I think we should start adopting some Japanese work practices! :)
http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/japans-sleep-at-work-culture

Jess Hnatiuk said...

haha! I think I'll get the unfortunate pillow contraption for the Mr. as a gag gift!

Marielle said...

Love this idea. My middle school in Korea had a teacher's nap/break room, and it was so nice to be able to relax and lay down for a bit during the day.

Kristen @ Treats and Travels said...

I miss my daily naps from college, they used to fit so perfectly into my schedule. I would save a lot of money if I wasn't spending it all on coffee breaks each day!

Jess said...

Nap time was a favorite time in college! also, starbucks was on my meal plan so it's safe to say that the majority of that money when to lattes and not sandwiches.

Jess said...

that's so cool. there is something about hitting the 3 pm lull when you just want a few minutes to unwind

Jess said...

do it! apparently it is a real thing that was funded through kickstarter. i also saw a bunch of google images of kids wearing them in airports and they looked super awkward.

Jess said...

i completely agree. minus the part where your boss takes a nap right in front of you while you are trying to make a presentation.

Jess said...

same here. there is something about 3 pm when the end of the day seems so far off.

Amanda Greer said...

I recently found out that napping after lunch, especially during summer, is a huge thing in Chinese culture! My boyfriend told me he used to get at least two hours for a lunch break when he was in school, to allow enough time to eat and nap! I'm living in Beijing now and you see people napping everywhere! Like this: http://ajigreer.blogspot.com/2014/07/welcome-to-china-3.html

Camila said...

Love this! At my old job they had this 'lounge' for employees and when it was empty I'd always go for naps, the couches were so comfortable...although I was always scared to pass through my lunch hour and wake up at like 4pm or something lol