Book Club: The Vacationers

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| |

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

There is a trend in books that make the every "summer must read" list. For the most part, they are page turners. Whether a murder mystery, a YA dystopian novel or a coming-of-age story, books picked for the beach typically don't have much substance. It makes sense though. Would you want to make your way through War & Peace lounging by the pool? Yeah, me neither. 

The Vacationers is said summer book. That the scenario is a family summer vacation only solidifies this. Overall, I thought it was a good quick read for a flight or long weekend, but if you are searching for the meaning of life, this is not the book for you. 

It moves quite slow and keeps rehashing each characters "problem" over and over without any resolution until the very end. The characters have all been seen before: the husband who cheats after 20 years of marriage, the wife who can't handle empty nest syndrome, the couple arguing over wanting to have children, the high school grad who wants to reinvent herself before college, and the 30-something man-child whose trust fund has finally run out.

Set on an island off the coast of Spain, The Vacationers can transport you to your own fictional seaside vacation without ever leaving your couch.



Let me introduce you to two of the lovely ladies hanging out on my sidebar this month!



 Meet Christina, a photographer and lover of road trips. Her travel posts make you feel like you are in the passenger seat right alongside her. She is also a runner, which unfortunately is not something we have in common no matter how many times I have tried to convince myself that I could be a runner. And if that isn't enough, she's also mastered the self portrait photo...I'm still working on that one.


Meet Jasmie, a fellow traveler, fur mama, and lover of Disney. Going on a trip soon and not sure what exactly to pack? She has you covered with her must have travel essentials; I second her choice in iphone batter backup and those stylish earbuds! After visiting Disneyland last year as well, I loved reading her recap of the happiest place on earth. I don't exactly have the small closet problem, since I take up both closets for myself, but if you are lacking space for your ever-growing shoe collection, Jasmine has the best tips on organizing your small space...so you can make room for more purchases of course!

6 comments:

Kasi Zlochevski said...

I was actually looking at Vacationers at the book store, and I thought it looked quite interesting. I didn't end up getting it though, and now I wish I did!
Both Christina and Jasmine have excellent blogs! I am always a fan of their posts :)

Natalie V. said...

I've heard good things about The Vacationers from a couple of other bloggers, so maybe I need to find myself a copy! :) I need a few good reads for the beach this upcoming week!!

Jess said...

Next time maybe! It's good when you don't want to have to think too much while reading. There's something about reading about people on vacation while you are also on vacation that is a little humorous to me.

Jess said...

It should definitely make your list!

Kayli Schattner said...

Ohhhh, I've heard great things about this book + have had it on my list for a while now. I need to finish up my current read + I may be on to this one!

Cayden King said...

Great bblog post