Travel Tuesday // London Calling

Monday, January 28, 2013 | Stamp in My Passport| , , , |

Monday, January 28, 2013

Here is an excerpt from my blog from March: 



I just got back from an amazingly fast five days in London. There is no way to condense everything down into one post but I’ll give you the highlights. Right after we dropped our bags off we started a walking tour around the city. First stop: Rosetta stone at the British museum (no big deal.) We continued on to the likes of Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, and a brief glimpse at Buckingham. 
My favorite part of the trip would actually have to be the excursion to Oxford and Stratford-Upon-Avon. Oxford is dripping with heritage and traditions. The Ivy League has nothing on this university. And what better way to commemorate my time in Oxford than with a crew sweatshirt? 

We also did the whole Shakespeare thing since he was kind of a big deal. We toured the Globe, but since it’s not quite summer were unable to see a show there and instead saw The Tempest in Stratford. It may not be quite the same, but it was still an amazing production. 
Sunday was spent at church at Westminster followed by lunch at a pub, outside of which they were filming part of the new James Bond film, followed by an afternoon stroll through Kensigton Gardens, the Victoria & Albert Museum and afternoon tea and scones. 

We had a free day on Monday before we headed back to Paris. Sam, Emily and I decided to brave the crowds and tourists and watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham. While I probably won’t ever do it again (it’s kind of a seen it one and done kind of deal) it was still one of those British rights of passage activities that you just have to do when given the opportunity.
We also went to Chipotle afterwards. You may be wondering why Chipotle when I could have it any day back home? Well, sometimes you just get a hankering for America and the familiar. Trust me, it did not disappoint. 

And what would any travel blog be without a quick discussion on food? Well it was more like a culinary trip around the world instead of just strict Brit fare that included Chinese, Thai, Mexican and of course several helpings of fish & chips. 
It amazed me how similar British and American culture is. Also, seeing signs in English made traveling that much more comfortable and relaxing. There is definitely a strong American presence in London, especially in the stores and restaurants  More so than in Paris. Driving down the highway almost made me forget that I was in England…until I remembered that we were driving on the left hand side of the road.
-Jess

2 comments:

Kate Costello said...

Yay for Chipotle!! So good no matter what country you're in. And I always wanted to go to England...it's on my bucket list =)

Unknown said...

London is such a wonderful city! I have to say doesn't hurt that they have amazing food and speak English. Every once in a while you just need easy!