Adventure is on the Horizon

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , , |

Tuesday, October 21, 2014


My passport is sitting, gathering dust in my safe. It's time that it is broken out again. Samantha and I are in the beginning stages of planning our next great adventure. I can't be more excited about it. It started as a Nordic adventure through the fjords of Finland, Norway and Sweden and then we decided that since we missed out on the Sound of Music tour when we were studying abroad, it needed to be bumped up to the top of the list. 

Salzburg than turned into a Germany and Austria trip through the alps. On the (tentative) agenda is Munich, Neuschwanstein, Garmisch, Salzburg and Vienna. I will simultaneously be Heidi, Julie Andrews and a Hapsburg waltzing around Vienna.

Next October cannot come soon enough. I have forgotten how much I missed planning elaborate vacations. The hardest part is narrowing down just where in the world I want to go. On the one hand, I want to throw a dart and go wherever it lands. But on the other hand, I have kept an ever-growing list of wanderlust that needs to be checked off.

And now the real fun begins.

First on my list: Pick the perfect hashtag for the trip. 

Second: Start learning German. Duolingo will be my new best friend.

Third: Refresh my memory on the dozens of wars of Austrian succession.

And now I need your help: Have you visited Bavaria, Salzburg or Vienna? What would you recommend to eat/see/do there?

12 comments:

Mar said...

This is going to be quite the adventure! I have a girlfriend who is living in Vienna right now because her husband is playing hockey there. The pictures she posts are gorgeous!

Jamie @ Gunters Abroad said...

Don't you love Duolingo?! We are headed to the Garmisch area in January and I am DYING to do the Sound of Music tour and am hoping that happens this Spring. Isn't it so hard to decide where to go?

Chelsea said...

How fun! Cheers to adventures!

Jess said...

I can only imagine! It's like something straight off of a postcard.

Jess said...

Duolingo is the best! The app has gotten so much better than it originally was. I love that it turns language learning into a game. I usually bring my headphones and get a few lessons in during my lunch break.


Let me know how you like Garmisch! I was reading up on Casey Cote's posts and I can't wait to ride the Zugspitze. I'm not big on skiing, but I do love mountaintop views and restaurants :) I know that the Sound of Music tour is super touristy but I kind of don't care. I just want to channel my inner Lisel.

Jess said...

Aren't they the best? I start getting a little restless if I stay in one place for too long.

Jamie @ Gunters Abroad said...

Omg I am such a sound of music dork I don't care if it's touristy!! I have the special edition DVDs with SEVEN hours of extras. I'm sort of in love and have to go!!! I'll be posting about Garmisch for sure sometime toward the end of January :)

Zoe said...

I can't wait until you go on this adventure, simply so I can live vicariously through the blog posts. I was dreaming of going to Bavaria and Vienna, but never made it during my semester abroad! It sounds completely dreamy. The castles, the mountains, ugh. I'm jealous. Please make sure to eat lots of pretzels for me. I couldn't find a single one in Berlin, and my German friend informed me that pretzels are a Bavaria thing!

The What's In Between

Darci Miller said...

MUNICH! Ahh one of my favorite cities! I know I'm biased, but you should definitely visit Olympic Park. The architecture is SO AMAZINGLY COOL, and you can go into all the old Olympic venues, and it's just this really neat park area. And go visit Dachau, it's (obviously) incredibly sobering but I think everyone should be required to see a concentration camp. It's so eye-opening. And the Pinakothek museum is really good, we spent a solid half a day in there! :)

Jess said...

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! As someone who love the Olympics, I will definitely check out Olympic Park. When I was little, my family visited Innsbruck and saw the Olympic venues there. Dachau is on our list as well. After studying a lot of Holocaust history in school, it will make everything seem that much more real. Definitely a sobering experience, though.

Jess said...

I didn't make it in my semester abroad either. I had no idea where exactly I had wanted to travel, and although I wouldn't have done anything differently back then, I'm looking forward to this trip so much! And there will be so many pretzels eaten. My one pretzel experience was in a train station in Germany/Switzerland and it was life changing. Who knew that one of the best things I ate would be grabbed while running to make a connection?

Camila said...

so cool! Oh my gosh - this is making me realise I've never really planned a holiday before! I'm excited for you though!