Weekend Getaway

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , , |

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

St. Simon's Island, while it may not have white sandy beaches or crystal clear waters, is one of my favorite places for a weekend getaway. Morning walks that turn into sessions of house hunters searching for the perfect cottage or condo to purchase as my second home (even before I have bought a first home), shopping in the quaint downtown, and the best seafood.

I stayed at the Sea Gate Inn last weekend and if you ever find yourself in the Golden Isles, I would highly recommend it. It's part beach condo, part hotel: You have the space and amenities of a condo, but they also have housekeeping and fresh towels each day. Plus you are one block away from the beach.

Unfortunately it was too cold and overcast to swim, but getting out of town was worth it. 

Do you have a place that you always go to recharge?

Caroline of The College Cosmopolitan


Follow along: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook


Tell me a little about yourself and your blog! What do you love to write about?

I’m a senior journalism major at Lee University in Cleveland, Tennessee, but I’m originally from Texas. I love Tennessee, but the Lonestar State will always be home for me. My blog is about finding adventure everywhere. I love traveling and seeing the world, but I’m also passionate about exploring where we’re at. I want to help college students make the most of their time in school, whether that means studying abroad all over the globe or finding adventures in your college town.


Favorite Starbucks seasonal drink? 

My favorite seasonal drink in a Chumpkin! It’s a mix of a chai latte and pumpkin spice, and it’s heavenly (and super sweet!). 


Were you one of the kids who looked forward to summer ending and school starting? Or did you wish the long days would continue forever?

When I was growing up I wanted summer to last forever, but then I moved to Tennessee and discovered the beauty of a real fall season (we have two seasons in Texas: hot and hotter). Now I live for the changing leaves, giant sweaters and Christmas music in October. 


Currently reading any good books? Are there any on your "must read" list?

I recently read “We Were Liars” by E. Lockhart, and it was hauntingly memorable. My must-reads are “A Million Miles in a Thousand Years” by Don Miller, “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green and “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me” by Mindy Kaling.

What you should be reading:
Local Adventures: Take a Sunrise Hike
The Art of Stay-cationing
How to Photograph Your Adventures, from a recovering instagram-aholic

Becca of For Want of Wander 

Follow along: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Tell me a little about yourself and your blog! What do you love to write about?
I’ve spent the past few years teaching music and drinking lots of coffee in Chicago, but I recently left it all behind to teach in the mountains of western Guatemala. Sometimes, my life is a mess, and I like to write about the mess. I love to write about the ways we can redeem difficult experiences, overcome failure, and live our lives as an experiment. 


Favorite Starbucks seasonal drink? 

I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but I’m really obsessed with Pumpkin Spice Lattes, sugar and artificial orange coloring and all. Unfortunately, Pumpkin Spice Lattes are a little hard to come by right now in Guatemala. 


Were you one of the kids who looked forward to summer ending and school starting? Or did you wish the long days would continue forever?

I was the kid that got really, really excited about new school supplies. I would pack them up in my backpack days before school started, and then take them out every night to straighten my folders and sniff my pencils and count my crayons to make sure I really had 24 in the box. I really looked forward to the beginning of the school year, but also was ready for the end when it got close. 


Currently reading any good books? Are there any on your "must read" list?

My friend recently lent me The Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth by Richard J. Foster, which I am currently reading, though I wouldn’t consider it particularly light reading. My must-read list includes Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton, East of Eden by John Steinbeck, and A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller.

What you should be reading: 


2 comments:

Alex Fahey said...

This looks like a wonderful place! I've never gone, but it looks like it's worth a trip.

Macy Gutermuth said...

What a wonderful getaway!