Weekly Wishes

Monday, October 13, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| |

Monday, October 13, 2014


Last week

1. Begin the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. I didn't start yet, but I did go through and cross off the books that I have already read as well as the ones that I have at least attempted to read in the past (here's looking to you Anna Karenina...) Sometimes I feel like I don't have anything to read so this list will be great to go back to for ideas. There's no timeline for this like the author of the Buzzfeed article. If you read a book every two weeks, it would take over two years to complete. That's a little too intense for me.

2. Not eat out for an entire week. I succeeded! (sort of) I did get a hamburger at the fair and a sundae afterwards, but there were no "I don't have time to pack a lunch so I will just go out and grab something" moments. I count this as a win in my book.

3. Make a list of all of the furniture that I'm missing. Check. I even prioritized the list. For example, I need a dresser/TV stand, but I can wait for an ottoman for a little while. Before I moved, I had zero furniture and within two weeks I had to find an apartment and pick out all of the essentials, preferably from one furniture store so I wouldn't have to pay for delivery and set up. It's nice to take my time on the finishing touches.

This week

1. Decide on a Halloween costume. The theme is "favorite board game/character." Any ideas? 

2. Buy/decorate a pumpkin. It may feel like summer, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to miss out on all my favorite season has to offer. 

3. Patiently wait for all of my online shopping purchases to come in. I did some major damage on the J Crew Factory sale yesterday. And this sweater just arrived from Asos. Sometimes I love shopping from the comfort of my couch. I have a system down now. While browsing, I put everything that I like into my cart and then go back and edit down my purchases. I usually make myself take a step back for a few hours before I actually hit "place order" to make sure that it isn't an impulse purchase. When shopping in the store, sometimes you don't have that luxury. And many times you have pesky salespeople working on commission following you around.

8 comments:

Camila said...

board game characters? I'm so confused by what that could be ...
Also good luck on the Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge - so much on that list! I'm always pleasantly surprised when I read one more book on her list! I think I'm only at 25 right now, but like you there are loads that I started and never finished...I'm looking at you Canterbury Tales...

Jess said...

Yeah the board game characters theme was picked by the hostess of the party I'm going to. Would definitely not be my first selection (I think she already had a costume in mind and just assumed we would all follow along...) Oh Canterbury Tales, I got out of Brit Lit in high school so I never had to read it.

Zoe said...

Board game characters: anything from Clue, anyone from Candy Land, or maybe just a letter from Scrabble? I think that last one would be exceptionally easy: just paint a letter on some cardboard! I love this theme, though! I always try to focus on TV/movie characters, and this theme is much more creative and unique!

The What's In Between

Darci Miller said...

Haha, I feel you on Anna Karenina. That book took me WEEKS to finish (and I'm the kind of person that usually blows through books in a handful of days). It gets a little rough there in the middle, but the action definitely picks up and had me hooked at the end!

Jess said...

Love the Clue suggestions and Scrabble as a backup. It is such a fun theme and definitely lends itself to a lot of group costumes. I may look and see if I can get a bunch together to go in on one :)

Jess said...

Same here! Harry Potter, no problem. Outlander, no problem. Russian novels where everyone's name ends in -ski...major problem. Plus I was halfway through when I saw the movie so I finally realized what was going on and where the plot was headed, so that helped a lot.

Eliza SJ said...

hahaha I totally feel you on Karenina. Would you believe that I got to the last 100 pages and...I just couldn't finish it. I must have put it down for too long to jump back in, and was to daunted to start it from the beginning again.

I'm also at a total loss for halloween costumes this year. But at least you have a theme :) If I were you I'd go as someone from Clue!

Amanda Greer said...

Oh man. I took a Middle English Lit course in university. I had to memorize entire parts of the Canterbury Tales. My prof promised it would come in handy, but it hasn't yet, haha