Two Year Blogiversary

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| |

Tuesday, October 14, 2014


My two year blogiversary was this month. I've learned a lot over these two years and now I'm passing some of my not-so-sage wisdom on to you. For starters, I wish that I would have told my younger self how to format verticle pictures to be the width of the blog. It's now a pet peeve of mine and the reason that I prefer not to read through my archives. What would you like to tell yourself when you started blogging?

1. Everyone has a point of view and something to share with the world. Don't feel the need to copy everyone else or only write what you think others will want to read. 

2. You can make friends online without it being creepy.

3. Strangers will want to read what you have to say. Sometimes it's easier to write knowing that people you don't know are reading and won't read into every cryptic comment and vague reference to your real life that you make.

4. Numbers don't matter. Nothing is a killjoy like checking your pageviews or followers every hour. 

5. Invest in lattes, peonies and a lifetime supply of nail polish. They are the staples of every successful blogger. And don't forget to Instagram them constantly so everyone knows.

6. If you don't Instagram it, it didn't happen (see number five for reference).

7. Blogging can help you land a job and show off your creativity to future employers. 

8. You don't have to box yourself into a niche if you don't want to. People have multiple interests so it's safe to say that you shouldn't have to only write about food, or interior design, or cats if you don't want to .

9. Observe everything around you. It will make for great writing material and sharing funny, true stories from the day are some of my favorite posts to read. 

10. The more you write and brainstorm, the easier it will get.

6 comments:

Kaelene @ Unlocking Kiki said...

Yes to number 4 and 7! I used to be so obsessed with checking my numbers and it was just a big killljoy. A big reason I landed my current job was because of my blog. Happy two year Blogiversary

Camila said...

#8 yes! I love that you wrote that - because I feel although my is kind of hitting a travel niche, I don't want to stop myself to that!

Sammy @ Days Like This said...

Happy 2 year Blogiversary!! I love number 4. As soon as you let go of numbers and just write what you want to write about, blogging becomes so much more enjoyable!

Amanda Greer said...

Happy blogiversary!

Victoria said...

Okay...As I was reading through this list, I found myself making a mental note to mention different items that really rang true for me. It turns out, I noted every single one! lol :) #2 is my absolute favorite and #5 is hilarious.

Congrats on 2 years!!! Keep going.

Also. Can you tell me how to make vertical pictures the width of my blog, please?!?!? I have no idea how to do that and yet now that I think about it, that's one of the things that I love about your blog!

Sarah | Sky Envy said...

Congratulations Jess on 2 years of blogging! Happy for you. And yes, keep blogging!