And the winner is...

Thursday, February 6, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , |

Thursday, February 6, 2014

I've always loved awards shows. And the Oscars is like the Olympics of awards shows, except it happens every year. They are the best of the best and there are usually the same number of movies I've never heard of as Olympic sports (and countries) I have never heard of.

I'm so glad that Academy Awards nominations are released over a month before the show, because that gives me time to watch all of the movies I have yet to see. 

Leave it to the Oscars to make me realize that I must make poor choices when I go to the movie theater. Thankfully, this year there is only one best picture nominee that I have not heard of (Nebraska). And before March 2, I need to try to watch Dallas Buyers Club, Philomena, 12 Years a Slave, Nebraska, and The Wolf of Wall Street. How can I make an educated prediction before I've seen all the choices? Are there any of the nominees that you don't recommend watching? P.S. do not waste your time or money on "Her."

Is it just me or do I have polar opposite taste in film than the industry insiders? It seems like my vote is the kiss of death for movies because the ones I pick to win in categories rarely do. Which got me thinking...who would be the winners if "real people" were allowed to choose? 

As you are preparing for Oscars night, rolling out your red carpet and practicing your acceptance speech, here is a basic Oscars ballot for you to print and fill out. For space reasons, I included the main categories plus my favorites of the secondary categories. I just don't feel like I can really judge documentaries, cinematography, or film editing. For a complete list of nominees, visit the official Oscar website

The Academy Awards will air live March 2 at 7 p.m. EST on ABC. E! will have red carpet coverage starting that afternoon.

8 comments:

Kaelene Spence said...

My family always hosts an Oscar party with red carpet and fancy outfits its a blast! I am bummed that I will be missing out this year. Sadly I just wasted my money on Her last weekend, hoping my other Oscar nominee experiences are better!

Alex Fahey said...

I hated Wolf on Wall Street. I'm interested to hear what you think. I'm watching DBC and American Hustle this weekend.

Jess Boyd said...

I heard the same thing about Wolf of Wall Street. American Hustle was hilarious! Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper play excellent crazy people.

Jess Boyd said...

I love viewing parties! Maybe you will have to recreate your own party. Or maybe your family can skype you in. I knew Her was going to be a strange movie before walking into the theater but it just wasn't interesting at all. I thought about walking out several times but then I kept waiting for the movie to redeem itself, but it never did.

Kayli Schattner said...

I love The Oscars! Award show season is just a really fun time. I've been wanting to see American Hustle but I'm waiting to see Wolf on Wall Street until it comes out on DVD. I heard it's reallly long and I don't know if I'd want to sit through it in theaters!

Jess Boyd said...

American Hustle is a must! I didn't realize that J-Law and Bradley Cooper were secondary characters because of all the buzz they were generating about the movie, but they really stole the show.

kelseyimagined said...

Oh my gosh SO excited you like the Oscars as much as me!!

Jess Boyd said...

If it weren't for the Olympics, I don't think I could wait until March for the awards!