The one (and only) time I attempted to ski

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 | Stamp in My Passport| , , |

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Well everyone. I wanted to share this post during the Olympics, but I didn't want to be compared to Julia Mancuso and Mikalea Shiffrin. Because I'm about to share the story of the one and only time I have ever been skiing. And by skiing I mean getting kicked off the bunny hill because I didn't pay for lessons and then deciding that it was best for myself and everyone else on the mountain if I walked back to the restaurant and enjoyed the view.
I spent my entire life living in South Georgia before relocating to Arkansas to go to college. So it's safe to say that I had never been around large quantities of snow or real mountains. (side fact, I hadn't been farther west than Dallas, or north of Tennessee until two years ago.) So when I read on my group's itinerary that we would be spending a weekend in Interlaken skiing, I was equal parts excited and terrified. 
My balance and coordination has always been less than ideal and I'm firmly convinced that being on a different latitude and altitude only made it worse. Combine that with the fact that I was too cheap to pay for ski lessons and you get an adult never making it off the trial hill before you advance to the easy slopes. But, who cares, I can still say that I have skied in the Alps. And whenever I make it to Colorado to ski, I'll make sure to stay long enough to take lessons. And then maybe I won't be passed by six-year-olds.
The positives from this trip: 

1. The view from the top of the mountain is breath-taking. It was worth every penny for the ride up there. 

2. The Swiss know how to put great restaurants for their skiers. So great that you forget why you decided to wear five layers of clothes and strap two pieces of metal to your feet. 

3. And if skiing is not your strong suit, Switzerland has beautiful lakes and hiking trails. Pack a picnic (because you won't be able to afford a restaurant meal) and enjoy the outdoors.

_______________________________________

Abby of Becoming

This blog will share my story. I'll share life events, musings, creations, photography, life in New York, taking a year of service, and whatever else might cross my mind. Random might be a good term for this blog, but I promise to keep it interesting!

Who would you most love to have dinner with?
I would love to have dinner with Audrey Hepburn. She was stunning, classy, and an amazing performer. Her style was iconic and she did some great things on earth. I have no doubt we could eat in the fanciest restaurant in New York City if I had dinner with her. :)

What you should be reading: 

Jess of Foreign Room


I'm a CA girl with a passion for adventure, photography, and iced coffee, preferably all together. I blog about personal style, my latest travels, my favorite spots to explore in the SF Bay Area, and finding beauty in every day life.

Who would you most love to have dinner with?
I would have dinner with Mindy Kaling because I think she would be so entertaining and fun to hang out with. Like, can't we already be best friends?

What you should be reading: 

10 comments:

Kaelene Spence said...

Sking in the Alps sounds amazing, even though I don't ski I bet the views were beautiful!

Jamie @ Gunters Abroad said...

We went to the Swiss Alps this year and it was soooo incredible!! I'm like you though, fellow southerner and only saw snow every 5 years or so :) At least you stuck it out and had the experience!

Claire said...

I've been skiing since I was a child (not far from where you skied!) and I still pretty much adopt the crash position and scream most of the way down, so don't be too hard on your self - sounds like you did great!

Carol said...

These pictures are just beautiful!!

Chantel Klassen said...

I skiied for the first time in fifth grade, I was never really a fan of it (I'm thinking cause I don't like the cold, or heights . . .) but one time I tried snowboarding. It was the worst. I'm surprised I didn't die! My knees were bruised purple for weeks afterwards!

Jess said...

i've heard that snowboarding is A LOT harder than skiing, which seems contradictory since you don't have all of the skis and poles getting in your way.

Jess said...

thanks! switzerland might be pricey, but you can't beat the scenery.

Jess said...

i don't know if that makes me feel better or worse...but i'm definitely willing to give it a proper try!

Jess said...

haha thanks! there is not a lot to do besides ski or paraglide. it was still a little too cold for a lot of the hiking and water activities going on.

Jess said...

they were definitely worth all of the terror and crashes i went through!