a weekend (of eating) in chicago

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 | Stamp in My Passport||

Wednesday, November 7, 2012




This past weekend was spent in Chicago. 
I'm on my school's newspaper staff and we 
attended the Associated Collegiate Press conference. 
But truth be told, the main reason I went
was to sight-see, shop and most importantly...eat. 




One of my favorite parts of the trip was 
visiting Google's Chicago office. 
Our adivser's cousin works there and 
gave us a tour. It's every creative person's dream.
Swings, video games, bean bag chairs, fully-stocked kitchens 
on every floor... I was in heaven.





We stayed in the North River area and were close 
to Millenium Park and Navy Pier. 
We were also close to the NBC building and the Chicago Tribune office, 
and since we were all communications majors we geeked out a little. 






And now for the part you've been waiting for:
a few eateries to sample the next time you're in Chicago.

XOCO
The first time we went to Xoco was to get hot chocolate 
(which was basically straight melted chocolate.) and churros.
All of their meat and vegetables are bought locally and
while you stand in line there is a sign telling a little bit about each 
of the farms they buy from. 
For lunch the next day I had the Cubana torta with Smoked Gunthorp pork loin and bacon, black beans, avocado, artisan Jack, chipotle mustard, Morita chiles, homemade cilantro crema.
Don't even get me started on their chips and guacamole. 
I could have made a meal off of them. 




When in Chicago, you have to eat at Billy Goat,
made famous by an SNL skit which you can watch here.

Order a doublecheese and coke. Chips if you want, 
but do not ask for fries. They only have chips. 
It's a little intimidating ordering. Everything is fast paced, 
but the burgers are greasy good.



My final recommendation is Quartino
It's classic family style Italian dining. 
Choose from a selection of antipastos, pastas, protein and (most importantly) dessert. 
Since we forgot to make a reservation on a Saturday night, 
we didn't sit down to eat until 9:45. 
By that time all I wanted was my own bowl of house-made pasta 
and I was not in the mood to share with anyone else. 
I had the tagliatelle bolognese. Oh man was it good. 
For dessert we ordered a selection of Coppa al Banana, Zeppole (Italian doughnuts) and 
Torta al Cioccolato.
Because our waiter loved us so much, he brought out nutella and biscotti. As if we needed more dessert :)

In case you are famished while shopping and walking around, 
Magnolia Bakery and Garrett Popcorn are also in the area. 
(try the Chicago mix: caramel and cheddar...it's like a flavor explosion in your mouth)
You better believe we sampled both within an hour of each other.




Now you never have to worry about being famished while walking around downtown Chicago.
-Jess

if you can't tell, i'm a little obsessed with instagram when i travel. 
follow me @jesskboyd

No comments: